PLAN TERMS AND CONDITIONS
It is important for your benefit and protection that you read these terms and conditions (including the ‘Special conditions’ section). These and your certificate, and any changes we notify you about (at renewal or otherwise), form your agreement with us. We intend to rely on the terms and conditions set out in this document.
plan: this contract of services.
product(s): the appliance(s) protected by this plan, as shown on your certificate.
we/us/our: Product Protect Ltd, the provider of the plan.
you/your: the person named on your certificate.
your certificate: the personalised section of your plan documentation, sent to you once you have taken out a plan or at renewal.
You must be at least 18 years old and resident in the United Kingdom to be eligible. Your product must be in good working order when this plan starts.
CONTRACT OF SERVICES
This plan is not categorised as an insurance product and therefore insurance regulation does not apply. This plan is a contract of services and is governed by UK laws and regulations concerning service contracts.
IMPORTANT CONDITIONS AND YOUR OBLIGATIONS
The following conditions apply to this plan:
• You must provide us with any information that we request when you apply for the plan. All information you give must not be false, exaggerated or misleading;
• Your product must have been installed, maintained and used in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions;
• Your product must be owned by you and kept only for domestic use;
• Your product must be used in a private home, solely occupied by a single household (at the address you gave to us);
• Your product must be easily accessible and meet all relevant safety standards and be safe to work on; and
• Your product (if it is able to store data or images, e.g. laptops or PCs) must not contain any content that may be considered to be illegal, and if we find any content we consider to be illegal, we reserve the right to inform the relevant authorities.
You must arrange any work required to make your product accessible and compliant with all relevant safety standards and safe to work on, e.g. you will be responsible for carrying out work required to fix a gas leak. Where you have requested services from us, you must also notify us if such work is required, let us know when it has been completed and provide us with the relevant certification (if applicable). We won’t provide our services until you have fulfilled these obligations. If you do not comply with the conditions and the eligibility requirements above or do not fulfil your obligations above, we will end your plan.
WHAT THIS PLAN INCLUDES
If your product suffers a mechanical or electrical breakdown after the end of the manufacturer’s parts and labour guarantee period, our customer services team will try to resolve the problem over the telephone. If we are not able to resolve the problem, we will, in our discretion, decide whether to approve a repair. Where a repair is approved, we will then authorise an engineer to carry out your repair, or we may also (at our option), decide to pay a contribution to the cost of replacing your product, in each case subject to these terms and conditions.
HOW TO REQUEST A REPAIR
To request a repair please contact us as soon as possible by telephone. The telephone number will be shown on your plan document.
LIMITS OF THE PLAN
There is no limit to the number of repairs you can request, unless your plan ends (see ‘Our Right to Cancel Your Plan or Bring It to an End’ below).
INFORMATION WE MAY REQUIRE
You must give us all information we need to verify your repair request. You should send any requested documents to the address in ‘Customer services details’ below.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT REPAIRS
Only engineers approved by us are authorised to carry out repairs under this plan, unless we agree otherwise in advance. Repairs will be carried out within the repairer’s normal working hours (which are at least 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday) on a date agreed with you. Please have your plan documentation to hand when the repairer arrives. If your product breaks down, you must take reasonable steps to limit damage, e.g. stop using it if this is likely to cause further damage. If we approve a repair but are unable to find an approved engineer, we’ll permit you to use your chosen repairer. You will have to pay them and claim the cost back from us. Please keep a copy of your invoice to send to us. If we permit you to use your chosen repairer and the proposed repair is estimated to cost more than the repair authority limit, then you must ring the repair authority line on 0845 387 0738 for an authority number before work starts. The repair authority limit will be shown on your plan document.
1. If a repair is approved but your appliance cannot be economically repaired, we may (at our option), decide to contribute 50% of the appliance value (depreciating 10% annually) for it to be replaced up to a maximum of £300.
2. If we decide that your product is beyond economical repair, we may decide to give you vouchers to contribute to the cost of replacing the appliance.
3. All vouchers will be redeemable from a retailer of our choice and will be valid for 12 months from the date of issue. Voucher settlements will be sent to the last address you gave us. If vouchers are not available we may provide a cash equivalent.
PRODUCT DISPOSAL AND INSTALLATION AND OTHER COSTS
1. If we decide to contribute to the cost of replacing your appliance you will be responsible for disposing of the old appliance.
2. In all cases you will be responsible for installing the new appliance and paying any related costs.
WHAT HAPPENS IF YOUR PRODUCT IS REPLACED?
If the manufacturer replaces your product under a manufacturer’s guarantee, the plan will continue on the replacement appliance as if it were the original product. If we decide to give you vouchers for a replacement, your plan will be transferred onto the replacement product. You must inform us of the new appliance make and model by contacting our customer service team on 0845 387 0738.
WHAT HAPPENS IF WE DECIDE NOT TO REPAIR OR REPLACE?
If we decide not to approve a repair request which would otherwise fall within the terms of your plan, we will inform you. All fee payments you have made in the current period of your plan will be refunded and your plan will end immediately. No further amounts will be payable. We’ll confirm this in writing to the last address you gave us.
Unless they are listed under the ‘Special conditions’ section or the ‘What this plan includes’ section, the following are excluded from the plan, and we will not pay for repairs which relate to:
• Breakdowns within the first 31 days of the plan start date
• Damage during delivery, installation or transportation of the product by a third party who is not our agent.
• Any breakdown cost already covered by any manufacturer’s, supplier’s or repairer’s guarantee or warranty on a product.
• Replacement or recall of the product (or any part) by a supplier or the manufacturer.
• Modifying or making a product comply with legislation, work on the product that is only required due to legislation changes or making it safely accessible.
• Your failure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
• Any problem with the supply of electricity, gas, water, broadband or broadcast content.
• Routine maintenance, cleaning, servicing and re-gassing.
• Repairs carried out outside of your country of residence.
• Costs or loss arising from not being able to use your product (e.g. hiring a replacement TV), or incidental costs caused by breakdown or repair (e.g. costs to remove or reinstate built-in or fitted equipment).
• Damage to any other property or possessions, unless it is our fault.
• Cosmetic damage such as damage to paintwork, dents or scratches.
• Any loss, damage or impairment to functionality caused by: theft, attempted theft, neglect, deliberate damage or damage caused by animals, plants or trees.
• Any loss, damage or impairment to functionality caused by: earthquake, flood, lightning, fire, wind, humidity, weather conditions, salt spray, storm or other natural events or catastrophes, abnormally high or low temperatures, plumbing problems, corrosion, chemical exposure, radiation, explosion, sabotage, terrorism, insurrection, revolution, war, riot, armed conflict, civil commotion, rebellion, man-made events or catastrophes or technological hazards (such as computer viruses or date-change faults).
• Any appliance not registered under the plan.
• Repairs, maintenance work, or use of spare parts, where not approved by us.
• Damage to ceramic or glass surfaces.
• Files lost due to a repair or replacement and your failure to back them up.
• Commercial or business use including use by charities, not for-profit organisations, local government or other such similar organisations (unless we agree to the use in writing beforehand).
• Fraud or attempted fraud, or where the condition of the product is not consistent with the request you made.
• The cost of replacing any accessories including: external fuses, lawnmower belts, batteries, rechargeable batteries, power cells, light bulbs changeable by the user, fluorescent tubes and related starter components, filters, attachments, cables and cable joints, plugs, light covers, grills, removable parts, glass and enamel parts, catalytic panels, external piping, rain covers, starter connections and straps, 3D glasses, vacuum cleaner bags, brushes and tubes, audio pick-up systems including scanners, printer toner or ink cartridges and printer ribbons.
• For products that include software: external data carriers, other input devices (scanners, joysticks, mouse devices), other external controllers (if not included when purchasing the product), installing, modifying and upgrading software.
• For products with screens: repairs due to pixel failure where the number or location of pixels does not exceed the manufacturer’s acceptable limit, marks on the screen, or burned screens.
• For televisions: the change from analogue to digital broadcasting including terminating analogue transmissions, software interface problems, satellite or cable systems or gaining access to cables within the fabric of a building or wall.
• Damage caused by, or arising from, accident.
In addition to the ‘General exclusions’ above, the following are excluded from the plan, and we will not pay for repairs which relate to:
• AGAs and gas tumble dryers.
PAYING YOUR FEES
1. All Credit/Debit card payments will appear on your statement as ALW*PRODUCTPROTECT08453870738.
2. If you pay the monthly fees (inclusive of all applicable taxes) by Direct Debit, you must make regular payments in accordance with the ‘Payments schedule’ set out in your plan documentation. If we are unable to collect a payment from your bank we may attempt to request payment again unless you advise us otherwise. When you have paid the monthly fees by Direct Debit for the number of consecutive months shown in the ‘Payments schedule’, if the initial plan period has not yet expired, no further payment will be taken for the remainder of the initial plan period, unless and until your plan renews for a further period (see ‘Duration and renewal of your plan’ below).
3. If instead you choose to pay all the fees for the period in advance in one payment, you must pay this amount (inclusive of all applicable taxes) before the plan will start.
4. We may use a collection agency to recover any amount owing to us.
5. If you do not pay for your plan on time, it will be suspended from the due date. Any requests for repairs past this date will not be considered for approval unless payment is received.
DURATION AND RENEWAL OF YOUR PLAN
1. The initial plan period begins on the ‘start date’ and continues until the ‘expiry date’, as specified in your certificate (unless ended in accordance with these terms and conditions).
2. Before your plan ends, we will write to you about renewing. Your renewal notice will show the new amount to pay. The fee payable may increase at renewal.
3. If you pay by Direct Debit, each year your protection will automatically continue for another year with a new plan at renewal, unless you tell us otherwise. Unless you have advised otherwise, the renewal fee will again be collected from your specified bank account, to ensure you are always protected.
4. If you pay annually by credit or debit card, each year your protection will automatically continue for another year with a new plan at renewal, unless you tell us otherwise. Unless you have advised otherwise, the renewal fee will again be collected from your specified card, to ensure you are always protected.
5. A cooling off period (lasting 14 days from renewal of the plan or the day on which you receive your renewal documentation, whichever is the later) applies at the renewal of your plan.
6. We reserve the right not to offer you a renewal on your plan.
CANCELLATION AND ENDING OF THE PLAN COOLING OFF PERIOD – CHANGING YOUR MIND
1. The ‘cooling off period’ is the fourteen (14) day period from receipt of your documentation or from the plan start date, whichever is later.
2. If you change your mind during the cooling off period, you can cancel your plan and we’ll refund any fee paid.
3. We will also give you these rights during your manufacturer’s parts and labour guarantee period.
4. If your plan automatically ends or is cancelled by us, these rights do not apply (see ‘Our right to cancel your plan or bring it to an end’ below).
AFTER THE COOLING OFF PERIOD
If you cancel your plan after the cooling off period and after the manufacturer’s parts and labour guarantee period, then the following will apply:
• If you have not received a repair, we’ll refund the fee paid by you for the remaining full months of your plan minus a £25 cancellation fee. If you pay for your plan by Direct Debit, you will be required to pay a £25 cancellation fee and no further Direct Debit payments will be collected.
• If you have received a repair or contribution to the appliance replacement, no refund will be given and you will have to pay the cost of the repair. This will be capped at the plan fee (less any fees you have already paid in the current period).
HOW TO CANCEL
If you wish to cancel your plan, please contact us on 0845 387 0738 (10am to 8pm, Monday to Friday excluding public holidays). You can also cancel by writing to us at the address specified in the ‘Customer services details’ section. If you are paying by Direct Debit and tell your bank to cancel your Direct Debit Instruction, but do not contact us first, we will not immediately cancel your plan. If you do wish to cancel, please contact us directly to avoid any communications regarding outstanding payments.
OUR RIGHT TO CANCEL YOUR PLAN OR BRING IT TO AN END
1. If you fail to comply with certain conditions and obligations (see ‘Important conditions and your obligations’ above) we may bring your plan to an end and we won’t provide any further services to you under the plan. We’ll refund all fee payments you have made during the current period of your plan. You must pay us for any call-out and repair costs we have incurred in the current period.
2. We reserve the right to cancel your plan by giving you fourteen (14) days’ notice. If we cancel your plan using this provision, you will receive a pro rata refund of the fee paid for the remaining unexpired days of your plan.
3. In each case, we’ll confirm any such ending or cancellation of the plan in writing to the last address you gave us.
CUSTOMER SERVICES DETAILS
For customer services: call 0845 387 0738 or write to us at Product Protect Limited, Brow Cottage, Main Road, Yapton, West Sussex, BN18 0EZ. Calls may be recorded and monitored for quality and training purposes. Lines are open, at a minimum, from 10am to 8pm, Monday to Friday (except public holidays).
HOW TO COMPLAIN
If you wish to complain or you are unhappy with the service provided, please contact our customer services team (see ‘Customer services details’ above).
TRANSFERRING YOUR PLAN TO A NEW OWNER
With our permission you may transfer your plan to a new owner of the product by giving us their details either over the telephone or in writing. You cannot transfer it to any other appliance (except for replacements of your product provided under a manufacturer’s guarantee or a product purchased as a replacement appliance due to us not being able to economically repair your appliance ).
CHANGES TO THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS
We may modify or replace these terms and conditions in order to:
• Comply with the law, regulations, industry guidance or codes of practice;
• Rectify errors or ambiguities; and
• Reflect changes in the scope or nature of the protection provided to you. We will give you thirty (30) days’ written notice of any change that could have a material effect on your rights or obligations. The new terms and conditions will take effect from the date specified in the notice. If you do not agree with the changes, you may cancel the plan by notifying us within that notice period and you will receive a pro rata refund of any payments that you have made for the unexpired period of your plan.
IMPORTANT DATA PROTECTION INFORMATION
Product Protect Limited and its business partners will use your information (which you or others have provided to us) to provide the requested service and for administration (including the recovery of any amounts owing, where applicable), marketing, market research, customer surveys, regulatory reporting, to check and verify your identity and analytics and testing purposes. We, may use your information to tell you about any offers, products or services which may be of interest to you. You may therefore be contacted by mail, telephone, email and/or other electronic messaging services unless you have asked not to be.
EXCLUSION OF THIRD PARTY RIGHTS
This plan is only for your benefit. No rights or benefits will be given to any other third party under the plan.
GOVERNING LAW AND STATUTORY RIGHTS
We will communicate with you in English and English Law will apply unless we agree otherwise with you. Nothing in the conditions will reduce or affect your statutory rights; for further information about your statutory rights contact the Citizens Advice Bureau: www.adviceguide.org.uk or 03454 04 05 06.
See plan document
This plan is provided by Product Protect Limited. Registered in England and Wales. Company No. 08437765. Registered office: Brow Cottage, Main Road, Yapton, West Sussex, BN18 0EZ.
Product Protect Ltd
Oxford House Business Centre
56 Teville Road